Sunday, January 10, 2010

What an Honor...

I'm honored to have been mentioned in a blog posting by my mentor and friend, Rabbi Paul Kipnes, Rabbi of Congregation Or Ami in Calabasas, CA. I served as Rabbinic Intern for Rabbi Kipnes for two years (while a rabbinical student at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Los Angeles Campus): 2002-2003 and 2007-2008. I recently wrote the following in celebration of Congregation Or Ami's "Bar Mitzvah" (their thirteenth year) Celebration:
A photo and a memory: Rabbi Kipnes and I, draped in our tallitot, Torah Commentary in our hands, following verse by verse, as the week's portion was chanted aloud on Shabbat. This scene plays itself out in countless synagogues — but what has made Or Ami, and my internship, different? One hebrew word with many meanings: ruach [רוּחַ]. Commonly translated as wind, soul, spirit, or breath, it also conveys intellect, passion, direction, and courage. As an intern over two years (2002-2003 and 2007-2008), you and your families, Rabbi Kipnes and Cantor Cotler, you nourished my soul, stimulated my intellect, strengthened my direction, and renewed my courage. I was given opportunities to teach every age, lead services, and deliver sermons. I studied under the careful, supportive, and exacting tutelage of Rabbi Kipnes. I say to you, Or Ami, what a child says to a parent, "If it weren't for you, there would be no 'me.'" A photo and a memory. One hebrew word with many meanings. One synagogue, with many defintions. Congregation Or Ami, thank you.

1 comment:

Paul Kipnes said...

'Tis a pleasure to point toward a new, engaging blog from an old friend.